Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Other Voice: Morning Observations

A reflective "The Other Voice" post by Dr. Siddiqa Hussein, my wonderful colleague at Soor Center...







As I am driving to school around 6:45am , making my way through that stressful  traffic , listening to my Indian classical music to keep me calm and help me deal with the traffic, this is what I observe...


A mother, wearing headphones, listening to her IPod (defiantly some nice music) pulling a crying or half–asleep 4-year-old child on the road side to the school. Does she know that the child is crying? Is she aware of her son? I wonder that...


Another mother, pinching her 3-4 year old daughter’s right ear so hard that the child is screaming on the road. I wondered what could have gone so wrong early in the morning that the child deserved such harsh punishment...


A child, looking out of the window, sad, lost gazing on the road and his mother is talking on phone...


A child waving or smiling at others and her father is talking on phone... 


Children are fighting at the back and their mother is looking out of the window...


There are a variety of observations; pleasant and unpleasant in the morning. But the question is how do we want to start our day?. I want to ask that first mother, who preferred to listen to IPod rather than her child: how does she feel when she is not heard? How would be the day if it is started with a painful pinch? It is really hard to get up early morning and leave your comfortable & cozy bed  and go to school.


Dear parents please understand that it is very important for everyone, big or small to start a day on a happy note. Give them your full attention for those 10-15 minutes; encourage them to look forward to a good day. Remind them about good behaviors. I often ask my parents to put stars on the two hands of their young children and say to them: “You are mummy’s son/daughter and you are the best. Whenever you look at  the stars remind yourself that you are mum’s best son and you should focus in the class and listen to your teacher.   Whenever you look at the stars, feel that your mum is with you”. Such verbal cues with positive statements make them feel special and loved.  


Please start the day with a Big smile and Big hug.


"The Other Voice"- Is our contributing authors post.  If you would like to contribute, email me at zalzabin@gmail.com for approval, editing and eventual posting:)

No comments:

Post a Comment